Through the joys of technology, I have been stuck in a virtual world unable to post my entries—so on the final day, here is my first post.
I started getting unstuck with the Animating Democracy Workshop looking at best practices of civic engagement—and we moved. We re-framed ideas, asked creative questions, and literally spoke from our positions in the room. We brainstormed projects and examined how to bring dialogue, action, and participation through artistic and civic engagement into the same space, and what we can do once we are in that space.
Other highlights thus far:
- An overview of the Arts Policy Roundtable on Arts and Workforce development—how Americans for the Arts is engaging with K-12 education and business to examine the idea of creativity as a critical skill
- A.B. Spellman and Claudine Brown discuss authentically connecting programs and communities
- Rob "Biko" Baker share his experiences engaging youth through hip-hop
- Morning meeting on the multiple ways we work arts and higher education
- How to measure and talk about the impact of the arts as a tool for social change