Organized with a Capital "O"

Posted by Ebony McKinney, Apr 09, 2010 7 comments

So how do we, emerging arts leaders, embrace the new creative economy, but not become what Angela McRobbie described in her essay “Everybody is Creative: Artists as New Economy Pioneers” as “a society of lonely, mobile, over-worked individuals for whom socializing and leisure are only more opportunities to do a deal”. How do we stay afloat, while helping to drive innovation and keep a diversity of (popular as well as thoughtful, well-crafted) art alive in our communities?

What do we do first?

Get organized. As individual arts and culture workers each of us must build our own capacity for risk and to make mistakes. Build it, try it, fix it is my new mantra. I am working to be both a planner and doer, to be ambitious and creative, while building in time for self- reflection, evaluation and course correction. I’ve also found that risk and learning can be supported through shared leadership, mentorship, collaboration and coordination.

The other task is to create the opportunities in our lives or workplaces to integrate the many wonderful ideas shared about leadership, work/life balance and new business models. In some instances this can happen in established organizations or institutions if the leadership is willing. In other instances, new ventures are needed. But planning, strategic planning I think it important to make these new ventures effective. Young people’s penchant for self-organizing can lead to regional and national networks that can be leveraged to create new space for leadership, professional and experimentation in the sector as a whole.

These are ideas we have built into the development of our EL network. We will be a platform for our participants, a space to pilot ideas and try something new.

TAGGED WITH:
7 responses for Organized with a Capital "O"

Comments

Karen says
April 25, 2010 at 4:04 am

That was the original title.

• Please login to post comments.
Ian says
April 26, 2010 at 5:31 am

[...] Build it, try i… sfortier: Build it, try it, fix it is now my new mantra too. http://blog.artsusa.org/2010/04/09/4859/ April 9th, 2010 | Category: [...]

• Please login to post comments.
Robin says
April 25, 2010 at 12:23 am

Thank you for this, Ebony.
As I read this, I'm in the depths of creating more structure for see. think. dance. and it's a process with a capital, P.

Organization comes about through check-ins with close friends who work in the corporate sector and constantly have access to best practices that must work or be quickly discarded.
Additionally, I do a lot of "door-knocking", simply asking people I admire, "what works for you?" no matter how humble that phrase sounds.

Balance comes from being really clear on how much one is willing to invest, by what means, and with what result.
Case in point: I've recently pushed for more "phone meetings" instead of meeting people in person and I'm trying to move away from meetings that involve food or drink.
Creating these boundaries really helps to define the different areas of my life so that work can be work and play can really be play.

• Please login to post comments.
Anthony says
April 24, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Thank you for this, Ebony.

• Please login to post comments.
April 09, 2010 at 7:25 pm

That was the original title.

• Please login to post comments.
Amy says
April 23, 2010 at 12:33 am

Thank you for this, Ebony.

• Please login to post comments.
April 11, 2010 at 8:52 am

Thank you for this, Ebony.

• Please login to post comments.